Saturday, November 14, 2020

Trinbagonians talk. (25) Preparing my Turkey

Five days before Thanksgivin’ ah does put meh turkey in a bucket, full of water dat hav’ ½ cup vinegar, 2 cups of lime or lemon juice an’ 1 cup of salt. De weight of de turkey does decide if ah go leave it to soak for 3 to 4 hours. Takin’ de turkey out of de bucket, ah does put it in a bowl, in de kitchen sink. After dat ah does wash de outside an’ de inside of de turkey, pluckin’ out de feathers ah find. After washin’ an’ cleanin’ de turkey, ah does put it in a bakin’ pan. Ah add salt to meh spices den ah rub de spices all over de outside an’ de inside of de turkey. Ah does even rub spices under de turkey skin. Coverin’ de bakin’ pan, ah put it in de fridge for de turkey to soak. De day before Thanksgivin’ ah does stuff de turkey, den put it in de oven to bake.

Five days before Thanksgiving I submerge my turkey in a bucket of water that has; ½ cup vinegar 2 cups of lime or lemon juice and 1 cup of salt. Depending on the weight of the turkey I leave it marinating for 3 to 4 hours. Taking the turkey out of the bucket, I put it in a bowl, in the kitchen sink, wash the outside and the inside of the turkey, plucking out the feathers I find. After washing and cleaning the turkey, I put it in a baking pan. I add salt to my spices then I rub the spices all over the outside and the inside of the turkey. I even rub spices under the turkey skin. Covering the baking pan, I place it in the refrigerator for the turkey to marinate. Thanksgiving Eve I stuff the turkey then put in the oven to bake.


No comments: