Tuesday, December 29, 2020

Trinbagonians talk. (71) Sugar is Addictive

Sugar does make meh body hurt me really bad an’ it does make me feel sluggish. Yuh mind work on yuh an’ yuh does fall short. Ah is a recoverin’ sugar junkie. A five-pound bag of white sugar use to last us a week an’ dat was foolishness for four people. When we did hear dat white sugar was not good for yuh, we change to brown sugar. Brown sugar is still sugar, an’ it does do de same t’ing to meh body jus’ like white sugar. Ah does feel stiff an’ meh muscles does hurt. Ah doh wish dat pain on nobody. Meh family does drink water, buh every now an’ then dey does hav’ juice or soda. Meh eatin’ an’ drinkin’ ways is another story. Harold, Paul an’ Sarah does drink ice cold water wit their meals. Meh breakfast use to be a cup of coffee wit evaporated milk, condensed milk, an’ ah does eat any sugary bread; Coffee cake muffin, cinnamon raisin, Thomas muffin, cinnamon raisin bagel, pancakes, French toast, or Crix with peanut butter an’ jelly. Ah use to make grapefruit juice, lemon, lime or passion fruit juice real sweet. Even though Harold, Paul an’ Sarah did drink a little juice, dey still drink a big glass of ice-cold water. Ah use to drink a large glass of juice. Ah use to also add sugar to some of de foods dat ah make. Meh knee did start to hurt an’ it use to make me fall down. Meh left leg use to get stiff an’ ah cyah move it. Sometimes ah use to get Charley Horse. An alcoholic cyah smell or drink liquor. Just one drop of sugar can make me fall back. Ah use to t’ink about me bein’ de only one in meh family who does feel sick, so, ah did start to drink ice-cold water for breakfast, buh ah was still eatin’ sugary bread. Ah did start to detox mehself off sugar buh it was de hardest t’ing to do. Ah doh feel stiff or pain anymore, buh like a real addict, ah does add a little honey to meh coffee. When ah done drinkin’ it ah doh feel bad, but ah doh make it a habit.

Sugar makes my body hurt really bad and it makes me sluggish. Your mind works on you and your body doesn’t perform the right way. I am a recovering sugar addict. A five-pound bag of granulated sugar used to last us a week and that was crazy for five people. When we realized that granulated sugar was not good, we switched to brown sugar. Brown sugar is still sugar and it does the same thing to my body, like granulated sugar does. It makes me feel stiff and my muscles hurt. I don’t wish that pain on anybody. Harold, Paul and Sarah drink iced cold water with their meals. My breakfast used to be a cup of coffee with evaporated milk, condensed milk, and I would eat any sugary bread; Coffee cake muffin, cinnamon raisin Thomas muffin, cinnamon raisin bagel, pancakes, French toast, or Crix with peanut butter and jelly. My family drinks water, but on some occasions, they would have juice or soda. My eating and drinking habits were a different story. I would make grapefruit juice, lemon, lime or passion fruit juice and it used to be sweet. Although Harold, Paul and Sarah would drink a little juice, they would end with a large glass of ice-cold water. I would drink a large glass of juice. Some of the foods I prepared used to have sugar in it. Ah used to get Charley Horse very often. An alcoholic cannot smell or drink liquor. Just one drop of sugar can make me relapse. I used to wonder how I was the only one in my family feeling sick, so, I started drinking water for breakfast, but I was still having any one of the sugary bread. I started to detox myself off sugar and I no longer feel pain or stiff. Although I am no longer in pain like a real addict, I would add a little honey to my coffee. After I drink it, I feel fine but I do not have any sweets regularly.

No comments: