Wednesday, December 23, 2020

Trinbagonians talk. (66) Staring match between a dog and me

Ah remember when ah was little, ah did give our dog Bruno sometin from meh hand an’ he mouth did touch meh fingers. Ah turn meh back from he an’ ah was goin’ to pick up a ball buh meh fadder stop me. He tell me to go an’ wash meh hand.  “Bruno didn’t bite meh hand,” Ah say, buh meh fadder say he kno’ dat. Dogs mouth hav’ germs so doh touch he mouth. From dat day ah didn’t touch he mouth. Ah was shock to see how dogs does be allowed to lick human’s face and hands. Ah like dogs an’ de one t’ing ah does like to do wit dem is to look in their eyes. A starin’ match between a dog an’ me to see who blink first is fun, even though ah doh win.

I remember when I was a child, I gave our dog Bruno something from my hand and his mouth touched my fingers. I turned my back from him and was about to pick up a ball, but my father stopped me. He told me to go and wash my hands. “Bruno did not bite me,” I said. My father said that he knows that but, a dog’s mouth has germs so do not touch his mouth. From that day, I did not touch his mouth. I was surprised to see how dogs lick a human’s face and hands. I like dogs and the one thing I like to do with them is to look into their eyes. A staring match between a dog and me to see who blinks first is fun, although I never win.

No comments: