Friday, April 1, 2011

My Skin

My daughter asked me to post this on my blog… She wrote an essay (My Skin) for a class project and she received an, ‘A+’. Yes she was pleased with the grade she got, but the hurt that she is faced with day to day is just upsetting to me. “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me… Wrong! They hurt.” (I am editing the name of the bully. I will call him 'K'.)

My name is Sarah Joseph. I am a thirteen-year-old girl with African, East Indian and Irish ancestry. This has been a problem for me, as other people call me Caucasian or Asian. Even when I say my parents are Trinidadians, the issue still continues. I had to deal with this when I was in second grade, during the age of seven. For six years, I had this problem.
The conflict started with a boy named ‘K’. He would bully and torment everyone in the class. When it came to me, he would taunt about my skin by saying I was as white as paper, calling me “Whitey”, and curse at me. He would also throw black crayons at me. The teacher would yell at him to no avail.
When my mom picked me up from school every day, she would notice that I look depressed about something. She would ask, “What’s wrong” and I would respond with the same response “I’m okay”. In reality, I felt worthless and disturbed. One day, when my mom and I returned home from school, I ran into my mom’s bedroom to look in her mirror. When I looked in it, I broke down in tears. In my view, I saw myself as, ugly, white and skinny. I was thinking that I was adopted.
My mom heard me sobbing and asked the same question as before. I finally told her my problem. I asked her if she saw what I was seeing when we both looked in the mirror. I said to my mom that “I am ugly, too skinny and I am white”. She responded back, “Sarah Sharon Joseph, you are beautiful, talented and intelligent. Do not make excuses for your self”. I smiled and thanked her.
Even today, I can remember those words that my mom told me. I am now in 8th grade and I am working hard to graduate. I have learned that race or the color of my skin has nothing to do with being successful. Being a hard worker and putting your goals first, however, does. Yes, I am light skinned, but I am AFRICAN-AMERICAN!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah, you could write, i see you taking you mom place. Keep up the good work!
Sherlon St.Hillaire