Sunday, April 24, 2011

“Absolutely No Meat!”

I have great nostalgic memories of Lent. Ash Wednesday is the day our family stopped eating meat… My mother made sure there wasn’t a single piece of meat in our home. I used to feel very upset, but our parents always explained that we needed to give up something significant for the LORD. The next time we would eat meat is on Easter Sunday. After many years of doing this, I found it to be a great family tradition and a symbol of our appreciation for what the LORD has done for us.
Today, I know that I backslide a bit… I don’t cook meat or used any meat products on Wednesdays and Fridays. On the days of Holy Week, I don’t cook any meat or fish… My children used to be flabbergasted that there was not one piece of meat, (ie… animal protein, red meat, white meat, beef, pork, lamb, mutton, chicken)… ABSOLUTELY NO MEAT, in our home.

No comments: