Wednesday, July 14, 2010

"fOoLiSh ThInGs Us PaReNtS Do"

A friend came to visit me one day. Her son, who was six, was playing with a toy that belonged to my son, who was four and a half. When she was ready to leave, her son wanted to take the toy with him. She told him no and he started to cry as he hid the toy behind his back. My son stood there waiting for one of them to hand him his toy. She told her son no a second time and tried to take it from him. He started to cry more and refused to give her the toy. She did not say anything else to him, but looked at me. I had a frown on my face and I kept quiet, wondering why she didn’t take the toy away from him. This went on for a while then I told her that he could keep the toy. My son looked at me with his mouth and eyes opened wide. When they left, he said, “that toy was mine and you gave it away.” I told him it was old and I would buy him a new one.
He said, “it was old, but it was my toy!”

No comments: