Saturday, November 17, 2012


An 18th Century English Nursery Rhyme
Who killed Cock Robin?~ I, said the Sparrow,~ with my bow and arrow,~ I killed Cock Robin.~
Who saw him die?~ I, said the Fly,~ with my little eye,~ I saw him die.~
Who caught his blood?~ I, said the Fish,~ with my little dish,~ I caught his blood.~
Who'll make the shroud?~ I, said the Beetle,~ with my thread and needle,~ I'll make the shroud.~
Who'll dig his grave?~ I, said the Owl,~ with my pick and shovel,~ I'll dig his grave.~
Who'll be the parson?~ I, said the Rook,~ with my little book,~ I'll be the parson.~
Who'll be the clerk?~ I, said the Lark,~ if it's not in the dark,~ I'll be the clerk.~
Who'll carry the link?~ I, said the Linnet,~ I'll fetch it in a minute,~ I'll carry the link.~
Who'll be chief mourner?~ I, said the Dove,~ I mourn for my love,~ I'll be chief mourner.~
Who'll carry the coffin?~ I, said the Kite,~ if it's not through the night,~ I'll carry the coffin.~
Who'll bear the pall?~ We, said the Wren,~ both the cock and the hen,~ We'll bear the pall.~
Who'll sing a psalm?~ I, said the Thrush,~ as she sat on a bush,~ I'll sing a psalm.~
Who'll toll the bell?~ I said the Bull,~ because I can pull,~ I'll toll the bell.~ All the birds of the air fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,~ when they heard the bell toll for poor Cock Robin.

No comments: