Friday, September 17, 2010

“His Teacher Shouts”

My son told me his teacher doesn’t like him. I told him he is not in her class for her to like him, he is in her class for her to teach him. He said, “She shouts too much. You and dad don’t shout at me.”
“We could practice, if that would make you feel better,” I said then I started to laugh. “Mom, that’s not funny.”
I told him he was right, then I asked, if he wanted me to speak to his teacher, but he told me no. I contemplated about what he said. This teacher had a class of 30 students and I know that it is sometimes difficult to deal with one child, so 30 children, is another story. The other thing I thought about is his age. I felt since he was the youngest (4yrs) in his kindergarten class, he would feel a bit anxious because the other students were all 5. I told him that he needs to listen attentively and do not speak to any of his classmates during class. He agreed. I did not hear any more complaints, but I paid a surprised visit to his school. Before I entered the class, I stood at the door and looked to see what he was doing. He was copying work from the board in his notebook. His classmates brought his attention to me and he smiled in his little shy way and whispered, “mom.” I smiled then his teacher and I spoke. She reassured me that he was a good student and is doing well.
On the last week of school, the teacher requested a meeting with me. I was worried because this was final report, and moving up to the next grade. The moment I walked into the class, I saw a sad look on my son’s face. My heart started to palpitate and I asked why he looked so sad. His teacher told me that she just told him, that he is not moving up to 1st grade. I looked at his flushed face and I wanted to scream at her but I listened. She said that she reassured him that he is smart, but he is young and would not be able to compete with the other students. I reminded her that he would be five, but she insisted that the children would be six and much bigger than he is. I wanted to lash out but I told her okay. Then she said you know he is a good child? I told her, “I know that, you don’t have to remind me!” My intonation of those words brought on an uncomfortable moment, and I stood quietly looking at her. She then summarized her point and I told her have a nice day. I finally believed that my son was telling me the truth about her. I went to the vice principal’s office. She was in charge of kindergarten through second grades. The moment I walked in she said, “Your son is doing great. We are not giving out report cards yet, but look at his… he had perfect scores on all subjects. Then I mentioned to her what the teacher told me. She said that she tested his class, he reads above his grade and she is going to place him in a gifted class…

No comments: