Tuesday, March 8, 2011

“Disasters Change Attitudes”

I was out shopping with my children and after we bought what we wanted we went to have lunch. We were having a great time talking while we ate. The lights suddenly blinked and the place got dark for a moment. A sudden feeling of dread came over me and I said, “I think we should go home.” They weren’t finished eating their food, but they both agreed to leave. We left the mall and I asked them if we should take the subway or the bus, but before they could answer I said, let’s take the bus. While we were on the bus, I heard people saying that the lights are off. A woman said she went to use an ATM and it went dark. Another person said the same thing. One lady said that she was happy that she had a metro card so she could take a bus or the train. Another lady said that the trains are not running, and some people were stuck in the subway. It was a total black out and attitudes changed. Inflation hit real hard because of the blackout. At the food mart and some groceries, the price of most items, were doubled even tripled… Candles that cost one dollar were now two and/or three dollars. Many people had to take a taxi to get home and the normal five dollars cab-fare was now ten dollars or more… When disaster strikes, attitudes change drastically.

No comments: