Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Trinbagonians talk. (127) My father was a brave man, yet Nature can Agitate you.

 Early one mornin’, meh fadder was goin’ wit me to de taxi stan. Ah was goin’ to San Fernando, then to Port-of-Spain, Trinbago. As we step on de porch, yuh couldn’t see a t’ing. A thick, dank fog was movin’ through de area. De hair on meh han’ raise, an’ ah was feelin’ frighten. Ah whisper, “Daddy, ah doh want to go outside. Ah go go to tong tomorrow.” “Doh be frighten. Yuh go be safe. Ah go walk wit yuh, buh ah goin’ back inside de house to get meh poui stick.”        Although ah kno’ dat meh fadder didn’t fraid not’ing ah was feelin’ worried. We left home an’ he held meh han’. He had he  poui stick in he odder han’ an’ he touchlight was hooked up to a strap over he shoulder. De mornin’ was still an’ de only sound was we voice, we footsteps an’ de poui stick hittin’ de pavement. Suddenly, there was a third set of footsteps. Meh fadder stop walkin’ an’ ah did too, buh we didn’t hear not’ing. We walk on an’ de third footsteps did too. Ah could not tell if it was in front of, we or behind we so ah whisper, “Daddy, yuh hearin’ dat?”      “Shhh,” He whisper. Meh fadder turn on de touchlight, buh we didn’t see nobody. “Hold dis.” He say, handin’ me de touchlight. We start back walkin’ again. Meh han’ was held firmly by one of he han’ an’ de poui stick was in he odder han’. He was holdin’ de poui stick, firmly like he was ready to hit somet’ing. Ah kno’ meh fadder was nervous. Ah was feelin’ real frighten, buh ah eh say not’ing. We footsteps was de only sound ah was hearin’ buh ah was wonderin’ who was de odder person walkin’, an’ why dey did stop. We reach by de taxi stan’ an’ de area did get a little brighter. It did hav’ people talkin’ an’ sayin’ dat de fog had de place lookin’ creepy. De taxi driver did tell meh fadder dat he was waitin’ on de sun to come up. Twenty minutes later, de sun did come up an’ de place was shinin’ buh it look smokey. A slight breeze was blowin’ de fog an’ de place was gettin’ clearer an’ clearer. Ah sit down in de taxi an’ ah feel much better, buh ah was thinkin’ dat dis foggy mornin’ make me kno’ dat nature can be intimidatin’.   

Early one morning, my father was accompanying me to the taxi stand. I was going to San Fernando, then to Port-of-Spain, Trinidad and Tobago. As we stepped onto the porch you could not see anything because a thick dank fog was moving through the area. My pores raised, and I felt afraid to go out in it, so I whispered, “Daddy, I don’t want to go outside. I will go to Town tomorrow.”    “Don’t be afraid. You will be safe. I am walking with you, but let’s go back into the house because I need to get my poui stick.” Although I knew that my father was fearless, I felt a bit apprehensive. We left home and he held my hand. His poui stick was in his other hand and his flashlight was attached to a strap over his shoulder.  It was a quiet morning, so the sound of us talking, our footsteps and the poui stick hitting the sidewalk was the only sounds I heard. Suddenly, there was a third set of footsteps. He stopped and I did too, but we heard nothing, so we continued and so did the third footsteps. I could not tell if it was in front of us or behind us, so I whispered, “Daddy, are you hearing that?”         “Shhh,” He whispered. My father turned on the flashlight but we did not see anyone. “Hold this.” He said, handing me the flashlight. We continued walking. My hand held firmly by one of his hands and the poui stick was in his other hand. He held the poui stick, firmly as though he was ready to strike and I know he felt agitated. I was feeling more anxious but I did not say anything. Our footsteps were the only sound I heard and I wondered who was the other person walking, and why did they stop. We arrived at the taxi stand and the area had gotten a bit brighter. There were people talking about how creepy and uncomfortable the fogginess of the area was. The driver told my father he was waiting for the sun to rise. Twenty minutes later, the sun came up and the area had a nice glow, but it looked smokey. A gentle breeze was blowing the fog and the area was getting clearer. I sat in the taxi feeling a lot better, but I was thinking that this foggy morning reminded me that nature can be daunting.   

No comments: