Saturday, February 6, 2021

Trinbagonians talk. (104) We had no care in the world. We were Living the Best Life.

It had a real bad dry weather one July. De people in charge of de water was limitin’ de amount de different areas get. One night, most of de children in de village dat ah did grow up in, went to de elementary school to get water. De road to de school dat we took daily, had no street lights. At de side of de road there was a trench. A little after de trench there was thick grass an’ trees. In de night, de place does get pitch black so de only light we had was from de full moon an’ de stars. A nice breeze was blowin’ an’ we was glad for de nice Tradewinds, after de hot, hot day we had. Ah was about 5 or 6 years old, so meh fadder give me a Klim Milk pan to carry water. He did make a handle on de top of de pan wit a stick so it was easy for me to hold. Some of de children was about de same age as me an’ we all had de same kind of pan, buh de older children had buckets. Ah did leave home wit meh brothers an’ sisters, buh dey all walk far in front of me wit de other big children. All we younger ones was walkin’ as fast as we could. De bigger ones did reach the school, full dey buckets then start to walk back home, passin’ we. Meh big sister did tell we to hurry up. When we reach de school, we did hav’ to wait for a free pipe to fill up we pans. After we full dem up, we start to walk back home. We walk careful, buh we was talkin’ about dis-an’-dat an’ laughin’ at we jokes. Jus’ enjoyin’ de carefree life we was livin’. Halfway back home, we brothers an’ sisters pass we. Dis was dey second trip back to de school. As meh big sister walk by me, she said, “When yuh reach home, doh come back.” Ah ask meh frens if dey was comin’ back an’ dey say dat dey was, so ah plan to go back. Ah was not goin’ to miss out on de fun ah was havin’. Ah was goin’ to ignore wat she say. “All yuh, leh we walk faster.” When ah reach home ah pour out de water into de barrel an’ ah did make sure meh parents did not hear or see me. Ah walk quietly out of de yard an’ run as fast as ah could to meet meh friens. We start to walk back to de school. On de way back, we did meet up wit we sisters an’ brothers. Dey all tell us dat we cyah go back to de school. We was vex, buh we went back home.

There was a terrible drought one July. The water authority was conserving water, so water was limited in some areas. One night, most of the children in the village that I grew up in, went to the elementary school that we attended to get water. The road to the school that we took daily had no street lights. At the side of the road there was a drain. A little after the drain there was thick bushes and trees. At nights the place was pitch black so the only light we had was from the full moon and stars. A nice breeze was blowing. The Tradewinds were just what the night needed after the hot and humid day we had. I was about 5 or 6 years old, so my father gave me a Klim Milk pan. He made a handle on the top of the pan with a stick so it was easy for me to hold.  Most of de children around meh had the same kind of pan, but the older children had buckets. I left home with my brothers and sisters, but they all walked ahead of me, so did all of the other big children. All the younger ones were walking as fast as we could. The bigger ones were able to reach the school, full their buckets, then started walking back home. While they were passing us on their way back, one of my sisters told us to walk faster. When we finally got to the school, we had to wait for a free pipe to fill our pans. After we all filled them, we headed home. We walked carefully, talking about this-and-that and laughing at our jokes. Just enjoying the carefree life we were living. On the way back, our brothers and sisters passed us, to make their second trip to the school. As my big sister walked by me, she said, “When you get home, stay, don’t come back.” I asked my friends if they were coming back, they said that they were. I decided that I was not going to miss out on the fun I was having. I was going to ignore her request, so I said, “Come on guys, let’s walk faster.” When I arrive at my home I emptied the water in the barrel. I made sure my parents did not hear or see me as I walked quietly out of the yard and ran to meet my friends. On the way back to the school, we met our brothers and sisters. They all told us that we are not allowed to go back to the school to get water. We were all upset but we turned back and went home.

No comments: