Sunday, January 24, 2021

Trinbagonians talk. (94) My pores Raised

Ah did work late an’ meh boss tell me dat he go send me home in a cab, buh ah tell him dat takin’ de train go be better. De train was across de street from meh job an’ it go take me faster to New Jersey than a car. Although de train ride was faster, ah did not t’ink about de long-time ah go hav’ to wait for it or to wait to get de bus dat ah needed to connect too. Ah did leave work at 11:00PM. When ah got to de train station, ah thirty minutes for a train. Yes, de train ride was faster, buh as ah was standin’ alone waitin’ on a bus, reality hit me. It was not a good idea for me to take public transportation, at dat hour of de night. As ah stood waitin’, a man did walk by an’ he look at me. Ah did feel very uneasy so ah walk back in de train station, an’ stand up in front a window an’ look through. De moment a bus came, ah quickly went to de bus an’ got in. There were about ten people on it an’ when ah got to meh stop, ah was de only one who got off de bus. Ah was nervous when ah was walkin’ to de street ah use to live on. De street was gloomy an’ very quiet for a moment then, ah heard footsteps behind me. De pores on meh hands raised. De footsteps did sound like it was gettin’ closer an’ ah get a bitter taste in meh mouth. Ah crossed de road an’ de person crossed it too, so ah did start to trot. De person did start trottin’ too. When ah turn on de path to meh home, de footsteps did sound real low so ah breathe a sigh of relief, buh then ah look where de side walk was an’ ah did see de shadow of a person go by. Meh blood run cold so ah open de door quick, quick, an’ hurry-up inside then lock de door.

I worked late and my boss offered to send me home in a cab, but I told him that I preferred to take the train. The train was across the street from my job and it would take me to New Jersey faster than a cab. Although the train ride was faster, I did not think about the length of time I would have to wait for it or to get the bus that I needed to connect too. I left work at 11:00PM. When I got to the train station, I had to wait half an hour for a train. Yes, the train ride was faster, but now that I was standing alone waiting on a bus, reality hit me. It was not a good idea to take public transportation at that hour of the night. As I stood waiting, a man walked by and he looked at me. I felt more uncomfortable, so I walked back into the train station and stood looking through a window. The moment a bus pulled into the station, I quickly went to the bus and boarded it. There were about ten people on it and when I got to my destination, no one else got off. I felt uncomfortable as I walked to the street I lived on. The street was dismal, and very quiet for a moment then, I heard footsteps behind me. The pores on my hands raised and I felt petrified as the footsteps sounded closer. I crossed the street and the person crossed the street, so I started jogging. The person started jogging too. When I turned onto the walkway to my home, the footsteps faded, and I breathed a sigh of relief, but then I looked towards the sidewalk and I saw the shadow of a person go by. My heart skipped a beat and I quickly unlock the door, hurried inside, then locked the door.

No comments: