Tuesday, September 1, 2015

You don’t know who will give you a good word to lift your Spirit. You don’t know where your help will come from. Be kind and respectful to all.

One morning many years ago, I woke up feeling down because of an argument the night before. The hurtful words that were said were unfathomable and I walked around dressing for work in a daze. While dressing I looked in the mirror. My eyes and expression had the residue of the night before. I felt and looked awful. When I said that I was leaving for work, no one answered. Instead of saying anything, I left.
Every morning a man used to be sitting in a chair on his porch, with a hot cup of something in his hand. For no reason at all I did not like him, but he used to say, “Good morning. Have a beautiful and safe day. I never answered yet he always gave me a kind word and I used to think that he was a foolish man.
As I walked by that dreadful morning he said, Oh dear, my ray of sunshine. You are wearing black, looking lovely, strength and courage in your footsteps… Good for you.
My heart suddenly felt joy. I smiled and said, “Thank you.”
“You are welcome and have a wonderful safe day.”
“The same to you,” I said and smiled at him. No retort but a smile came from him.
My day was wonderful and that man politeness never ended until he passed on.

No comments: