Thursday, September 10, 2015

The kind of books for children makes me say, “What the… Jesus”, but then most of the stories and nursery rhymes I read as a child were the same. Just ghastly, horrible, horrific, dreadfully and frightening.
“Piggy on the railway picking up stones. Down came an engine and broke Piggy’s bones. “Ah,” said piggy “That’s not fair.”
“Oh said the engine driver, I don’t care.” (Murderer)


My son was 16 when he started reading a book called, Scary Stories More Tales To Chill Your Bones by Alvin Schwartz. He said that it is very creepy especially the illustrations. It was freaking him out so he threw it out. He told me that I bought it for him. I don’t remember, but I probably did because if they ask me for a book, I buy it. Yes my children read horror stories and look at movies, but they know their limits. My son said one day he and 4 of his friends (19yrs) went to the library to do research. He told them about Scary Stories More Tales To Chill Your Bones. They told him that they don’t believe that it would be that horrible and they would read one of the stories. There were copies of the book sitting on a shelf in the children’s section. They all took copies and started reading. He said that none of them finished a story. One of them said the illustrations just adds to the creepiness of it.
This book is still in the juvenile section of the Public Library, but some of the illustrations were changed making the story less creepy…

No comments: