Thursday, September 24, 2015

“On a personal note.”

Leroy was the kind of friend who never called before he visited, but he was welcomed. One day before his passing he came over to visit with some of his friends. One of the women in the group had a toddler with her. While I was setting the dining table she told me that she needs to go to the fruit and vegetable market. She wants to buy eggs and potato.
The mother that I am knows that most West Indian mothers feed their toddlers mashed potatoes with boil eggs so I asked, “Is it to take home?”
“No. I have at home, but I want to make mashed potato and a boil egg for my daughter.”
“When you were out with Leroy, what did he say to you all?”
“He said that we are going by Ali, he wants to get something to eat. I thought he meant Ali’s Roti Shop. When we got here, I heard you were being called Ali then I realized that Ali was you.”
“It is me. I know your baby cannot eat peas and rice and the rest of the food that I cooked. I have eggs and potatoes.”
I handed her an egg and a potato. After she put them to boil she took $5 out of her wallet and she stretched out her hand to me. “Thanks Ali. This is for you,” She said.
I stood there looking at the money in her hand then I said, “What is that for?”
“The egg and the potato,” She said.
Now when you insult me you have to be prepared for my mouth but before I started on her I said, “Harold (my husband) and he said, “Yeah Ali.” This young lady is paying me $5 for the egg and the potato.”
“What!” He said.
Leroy said, “No! no! Don’t do that! Ali go cuss oui!” and he started to laugh.
I smiled and I shook my head…

As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. Prov. 23:7

No comments: