Thursday, July 16, 2015

Ida B. Wells was born on July 16, 1862. (She is 153 years old today). Google honored the “fearless and uncompromising” woman with a Doodle of her typing away on typewriter, a piece of luggage by her side.

In 1884 when she was 22 she was asked by the conductor of the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad Company to give up her seat on the train to a white man … 70 years before Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat on an Alabama bus.
Ida said in her autobiography, “The moment he caught hold of my arm I fastened my teeth in the back of his hand. I had braced my feet against the seat in front and was holding to the back, and as he had already been bitten he didn’t try it again by himself. He went forward and got the baggage man and another man to help him and of course they succeeded in dragging me out.”
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ida-b-wells-google-doodle_55a75a3ae4b0896514d05be2

No comments: