Wednesday, July 27, 2011

“Only Old People Die”

I think I must have been about age 5 when I started to really hear about death and I was told that only old people die so I asked, “How old is old?”
“You have about 65 years to go before old age starts to set into your bones so don’t worry about it.”
65 years was a long time away, so I didn’t worry about it for a long, long time until a girl who was 11 years died. She lived in the neighborhood. She was three years older than I was. Fear set into my heart, and I accused them of not being truthful to me, but they said that her death was an accident.
I was supposed to accept that answer and be cool with it, but her death troubled me for a long time. Then life went back to normal… Old people were the ones that were dying for many years, but today young and old dying…

No comments: