Saturday, April 16, 2016

When I was in Trinbago in 2011, one of my sisters took me to a shopping center. We went to a couple of clothing stores, but then we ended up in a book store. After paying for some books I asked the casher who buys books for the store?” She looked at me with a serious face then she said in a fake American accent, “We don’t buy books from Trinidad authors; we buy books from American authors.”
“I looked at her and smiled then I said, “Okay.” I turned to walk away, my sister looked at me smiling I chuckled and shook my head. As we walked out of the store I said, “She sounded so ignorant. Her attitude reminds me of a line in Proverbs, ‘The fool takes no delight in understanding, but rather in displaying what he thinks’. She did not know what I was going to say to her.”
“True. Sounded brainless,’ my sister said.

I said, “Her accent takes the cake. According to daddy, ‘Sometimes you have to leave de damn fool alone. They go make yuh sin yuh soul oui.” (Walk away from them.) 

No comments: