Tuesday, January 20, 2015

“Mock ah Trini”

My children just got me flabbergasted with something that we were discussing so my Trini twang, accent came out full blast; “Buh wait nah, whey yuh say?” (But wait a minute, what did you say?”) I asked, but my children change the conversation and started to mock me.
“Mom, mih friens go be shock to hear yuh talk like ah Trini,” Paul said.
“Mine too,” Sarah said.
“Dat is all yuh an all yuh friens’. Whey yuh say before?”
“Nah, we go talk ah bout dat later. You had us speaking Standard English. Our friends used to ask us if we study in England,” He said.
“Ah glad, dat ah did correct all yuh when all yuh talk. Today all yuh, excellent in English.
“Yeah. Ah pass de class, wit ah A,” Paul said.
“Ah pass de class wit ah A too. One thing ah could do is mock ah Trini, oui,” Sarah said.
“I could real do dat. Buh Sarah, we should have ah day call, mock ah Trini, day right?” Paul said.
“Yeah. Buh Paul, yuh askin’ answers?” Sarah said.”
 “All yuh ass too happy oui, I said. Hysterical.

No comments: