Saturday, September 21, 2013

“A Greedy Man” ( Part 2)

Joanne’s brother Gregory had a cocoa plantation. He had a large order for cocoa beans so he asked her husband Michael to help him harvest the cocoa and he would pay him. Michael agreed. They harvested the cocoa on Saturday and Sunday. Starting from 6:00AM to 3:00PM. After two tireless days, they had 6 crocus bags of cocoa beans. 4:00AM Monday morning, they went to the wholesale market. The cocoa beans brought Gregory a hefty sum of $2,000. He sat in the van, counted the money in front of Michael, put it in his briefcase, then he started the van and drove Michael home. When he got to Michael’s house, he stopped the van, dipped his hand in his shirt pocket pulled out $100. “Thanks for your help. This is for you,” Gregory said.
Michael was shocked that he was only going to be paid $100, but he took the money. Turned and walked through the front gate. When he got into the house Joanne asked, “How was your weekend?”
I worked very hard for 2 fucking days and my labor was worth $100. You can have it, but I am never going to be your brother’s jackass again. You can tell him I said that!”
“That is all the money he gave you?”Joanne asked.
“Yes.”
Joanne sucked her teeth then she said, “The way he acts is making me regret signing over my land to him.”
“What did you say!?”
“For many months, he pleaded with me, to give him the 15 acres of land our parents left me, so last month I signed it over to him.”
“I am your husband and you never told me that you were going to do something so stupid! We have children! What about them!”
“He told me that he would give those I care about a piece when the time comes.”
“Your brother is a greedy man and he has his own personal fool, but I am not going to be one of them!”…  

No comments: