Sunday, May 1, 2011

“Good Friday~~~ You Turn Into A Fish”

My memories of Good Friday, as a child into adulthood, are great. On Good Friday, we ate hot cross buns (my mother made) and we drank orange peel tea, with brown sugar and no milk, for breakfast. This Good Friday, I had no hot cross buns… I felt a bit sad about that… Yesterday, I found hot cross buns in the grocery store… For me, it was better late than never… Now I know where to buy my hot cross buns…
For lunch, we had fried fish, stew fish, cassava dumplings, green figs, plantain – boil and fried, ground provisions – dasheen, yam, sweet potato, Irish potato, eddoes, tannia and cassava – yucca. Salad – lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber… After lunch, we would go on the beach. There would be many people on the beach. No one goes into the sea, because, we were all told that we would turn into a fish if we did…

No comments: