Monday, December 16, 2013

“My Winter Tale”

My first winter was in 1982. I loved the snow and how beautiful and pristine the place looked. All the trees looked dead without their leaves, so I was a little sad about that. My first blizzard experience dropped endless snow. Days later, ice rain and the temperature dropped. All the trees were glittering like crystals and icicles were hanging from the branches. The sun was shining and the area looked immaculate… I loved it. I met some people who lived here all their lives and they were complaining about the weather. They were all saying that they needed to see their therapist because they were depressed. I couldn’t understand how this scenic place with such a beautiful tranquil aura could depress anyone. When I left them, I whispered, “Crazy people~ absolutely nuts. This place looks beautiful.”
It did not take long for me to get into their mood. After my third blizzard experience, I was weary. When my children were babies, I was frustrated with dressing them and myself in coats, boots, gloves and hats. The sun would be shining brightly and the temperature would be in the single digits or minus. There was a snowstorm every week dumping, snow on top of snow. Just looking out and seeing most of every thing white, depressed me. The cold, dreary, dismal days felt as though the weather was working against me. A week later, the snow started to melt. Some of the snow looked dirty and that disgusted me. One day while I was about to cross the street, I suddenly started slipping and sliding so I tried my best to brake the fall, but couldn’t so I just hit the ground~ that upset me. I fell on a big area of black ice and couldn’t stand. I had to slide on my butt to one side of the street to get to grass~ that embarrassed me. If I continue writing, my winter tale would be a book. What great therapy to blog about it…

No comments: