Thursday, January 20, 2022

Trinbagonians talk. (215) Trusting and Giving People the Benefit of the Doubt Doesn’t Work for Me.

Some people who know me think that I am a bit standoffish. They are not wrong because the attitude some people have towards me is something to cause anybody to guard themselves. Out of the blues, a woman once said to me in an angry tone, ‘You think your children are better than other people children!’ I was shocked because we were not talking or discussing children, so I wondered where this was coming from. I stood looking at her dumbfounded and she went on berating me. I let her speak and then I walked away. For many years that statement haunted me. Years later I was speaking to a woman and I told her the story. She said, “Why are you upset about that? Aren’t we supposed to think that our children are better?” And that was the end of my feeling that I am a selfish mother. Yes, I think my children are better. Don’t you think yours are better?”

“Stay dey nah!”

No comments: