Thursday, January 13, 2022

Trinbagonians talk. (211) “Yuh better shut yuh dam’ mout’! Yuh too beside yuhself.” My mother’s favorite words when we were being disrespectful.

I had a situation in school so my mother was taking me to school late, to meet with my teacher. I was 12 years and as the old Trinbago folks used to say, ‘Yuh feel yuh big’. I really felt that I was big, so when my teacher shouted at me for a mistake I made, I shouted back at her.” While my mother and I were heading to the school, a lady in a green dress was standing in the distance. A little further away from her a man in a suit and a woman in a red dress was coming towards her. It did look like a normal situation until the man and the woman got to the woman in the green dress. The woman in the red dress said, “What you doing here? Somebody did tell me that you always waiting for my husband. That shit is going to stop today!” The woman in the red dress slapped the woman in the green dress and they started to fight. The man stepped aside and watched them fight. My mother held my hand, quickly turned around and said, “Oh God! Come Allison! Let’s go back home!” She pulled me as she walked fast. I kept looking back and the two women were on the ground fighting. My mother said, “Stop looking at them! I do not like to see big people behaving like that!” This was the first time I was seeing big people fight and I was fascinated.

No comments: