Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Eloquent Drunkard

One day, I woke up feeling tired and just not in the mood for the day… I had to go to the market to buy some ground provisions because I was going to make saltfish buljhol. I walked around the house just out of it. About mid-day, I left home and arrived at the back of the market. There were lots of people around. A man stood in a drunken state arguing with another man. People were laughing hard at the fluid language that was going back and forth… I was hearing some of it, but I was still in my despondent mood until one man said, “Get away from here, you drunkard,”
In a slow eloquent tone the drunkard said, “One think I know is that when I wake-up in the morning, I will be sober, but when you wake up in the morning… you still go be ugly.”
I had a fit of laughter…
Oh, what a nice day it was after all…

(Buljhol – A dish of de-salted codfish, oil, onion tomatoes etc)

No comments: