Wednesday, October 5, 2011

“His Second Joke”

Margaret did not mind going to the beach to sit or walk along the shore. She never went into the sea because the massive expanse of water scares her. Her husband always pleaded with her to go in, but she kept saying no. It got to the point where he told her that she doesn’t trust him.
“I do trust you,” she said.
“Then come to the beach with me. I promised that I would only take you up to knee height in the water and I would hold your hands.”
“Are you sure you won’t let me go?”
“I promise.”
She was trembling and she held his hand firmly as they stood near the water. “Close your eyes and listen to the sound of the waves. Are you hearing how gently they are rolling?”
“Yes.”
“Don’t be afraid. I am going to walk backwards so I will be facing you at all times.”
“Okay.”
She walked shakily into the sea and he stopped when the water got to her knees. They stood for a moment then he splashed a little water with one hand. She felt a bit comfortable, so she joined him in a water fight. They were both laughing happily. Suddenly, she did not hear his voice so she called his name, but he did not answer and she started to panic. The lenses of her glasses were blurry, so she was straining her eyes to see where he was. She moved her hands around hoping to touch him. As she was doing this she was going into the deep part of the sea. The water was now around her waist and in her panicking state, she went under. Her mouth filled with water and some went down her throat. She surfaced gaspingly tying to catch her breath, but her legs were slipping. As she started to go down again, her husband grabbed her. She stood up coughing excessively. When she caught her breath, she said, “Why did you leave me!?”
“I was right here.”
“No you were not!”
“Yes. I went under the water to hide from you.”
“You promised me that you won’t leave me! Why did you?”
“It was a joke.”….
Stay tune for his third Joke…

No comments: