Sunday, August 30, 2015

“I remember good people and some not so good”

We used to look out for the unfortunate. One day, when I was a teenager I went shopping at a clothing store. I noticed there was money on the counter… One dollar bills, quarters, nickels, dimes and cents in separate heaps. I asked the cashier (the owner) why he had the money on the counter. He said, “If you are not busy just wait a little and you would see. I stood at the side and we were talking about this and that then a blind man walked in with a child. The child took a dollar, quarters, dimes, nickel and pennies. He told the owner thanks and the man also thanked the owner then they left. After they left, homeless people trickled in one by one, and they did the same thing. I was amazed how they did this without a hitch…
I went into a restaurant, but on this occasion a lady sat by the door with a table. The money was laid out in the same manner and the homeless came.
Four years ago I stood in a restaurant buying food. A homeless man came and stood next to me and he said, “Miss can you please buy me something to eat?”
The cashier was about to tell him to leave and I glared at her so she shut up. I told him to tell her what he wanted and he did. She looked at me and I said, “Please give him what he wants, I’m going to pay you.”
She did and he smiled, told me thanks then he left. While I was paying the manager came and stood next to the cashier. When I was about to leave he said, “Miss, those kinds of people are not allowed in here and you were encouraging him.”
I stared at him and I said, “You could lose all this shit in a moment and become homeless in a flash!”  

No comments: