Sunday, December 11, 2011

“Memory Lane While I Cook”

One day when my daughter was 4yrs old, she came home from school and in her little voice she said… Mommy I am hungry. Do you have any flour kneed there, and salt fish? I smiled because this child was sounding like my father. He used to say that to my mother sometimes when he came in from work… I am making fried bakes and buljhol.
“Fry Bakes”
4 cups flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoon sugar or ½ teaspoon salt (I like sugar in my fry bakes. I am not a fan of salt so I am not going to tell you to add more.)
Water
Oil for frying.
Mix flour, baking powder sugar or salt adding a little water at a time to make soft dough, not sticky. Knead for 8 to 10 minutes. Put in a bowl, cover and let rest for ½ an hour… Cut pieces and roll into a small ball. Roll out ¼ inch thick… Fry in hot oil turning over… fry until brown.
This is my recipe for making fried bakes… At times I add ½ cup of whole wheat flour or ½ cup fine cornmeal.
I am serving with buljhol, but I must have a couple fry bake with extra sharp cheddar cheese… Nice real Nice.

No comments: