Wednesday, December 21, 2011

“Don’t Look Out At Nights”

Two Fridays ago I heard endless police cars speeding down the street that I live on. I was a bit concerned because my daughter and many other children were coming home from school, at that time of the day. When I got outside, it was raining, but I walked out, onto the sidewalk. There were many parked police cars on the street, and many police men, were walking towards a building. I kept looking in the direction my daughter usually came from. When I finally saw her, I walked quickly towards her. She started running towards me.
The moment we met she said, “Mom, let us go inside now! Something terrible happened in the building, at the corner, because I heard someone screaming, and other people crying!” She pulled me towards the door, but the writer in me, wanted to know what happened, so I stood where I was, and kept my eyes on the building. My daughter was adamant, “Mom, let’s go inside!”
The moment we walked in, I turned on the television and scanned the channels. There was no news about the situation outside, but it played on my mind all weekend. Monday came and still no news. On Tuesday morning about 2AM, I heard voices that were a bit loud outside. I did not look out because I remembered the old folks saying ‘Don’t look out at nights when you hear noises, because you will see something that you don’t want to see’. I listened to the voices, but I could not comprehend what was being said. Later that morning I was pissed because I did not look out… One of my favorite show was being filmed~ I missed out on the drama…

No comments: