Thursday, November 10, 2011

“My Sweetbread”

I am not one for following rules of any recipe. I always add or take out something. Regular vanilla is good, but I use Tonka Bean vanilla and My Sweetbread tastes delightful!
INGREDIENTS
3 Cups Flour
1 Cups granulated sugar
3 Tsp. baking powder
¾ Cup water
1/2 Cup margarine, room temperature
1½ Tsp. vanilla essence
1 Egg
½ Cup mixed peel
1 Cup raisins
1 Coconut
1 Tsp Angostura bitters
1 Cup cherries (Everyone tells me it is ½ cup, but I love cherries in my sweetbread… When I am making it they all have to stay out of the kitchen)
¼ Cup Brown Sugar
My Preparations
1. Cut each cherry into four pieces.
2. Chop mixed peel into smaller pieces.
3. Grate coconut then add sugar, water and mix with a wooden spoon.
4. Beat egg with bitters and vanilla, pour into coconut mixture. Add margarine, mix thoroughly.
5. Sift flour and baking powder then mix into the coconut mixture.
6. Add fruits and mixed peel.
7. Pour into a baking pan and bake at 350◦F for 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
8. Sprinkle with brown sugar, put back into oven for 5 minutes.

No comments: