Sunday, June 6, 2021

Trinbagonians talk. (149) As the old Trinbago folks used to say, Laugh and Cry does live in the same House.

One very cold winter day, ah was walkin’ home. De sun was shinin’ an’ de place look dry, dry. There was little heaps of snow around de place, buh de pavement an’ de road was clear. De snow was not meltin’ because of how cold it was. As ah got off de sidewalk an’ start to cross de street, ah suddenly start to slip an’ slide. De road had black ice on it. As ah was slippin’ an’ slidin’, tryin’ to get meh footin’, ah start to laugh. Some people who saw me was laughin’ too. Ah eventually hit de ground. De street light change, an’ cars were not able to pass because ah was slidin’ across de road. Some of de drivers ask me if ah want dem to help me, buh ah tell dem “Thanks for askin’, buh no thanks.” If anyone did try to help, dey go also start to slip on de ice. Ah finally slid across de road straight to de other side whey had grass, so ah was able to stand up. As ah walk on de sidewalk towards meh home, people who walk by asked me if ah was ok. Ah answer dem buh ah was feelin’ real shame. Tears was at de back of meh eyes waitin’ to fall out. From de moment ah walk in meh home, ah start to cry as meh slippin’ an’ slidin’ moment flow through meh mind. As de Trinbago old folks used to say, ‘Laugh an’ cry does live in de same house, oui’.

One very cold winter day, I was walking home. The sun was shining and the area looked dry. There were little heaps of snow around the area, but the sidewalk and the road were clear. The snow was not melting because of the coldness. As I got off the sidewalk and started to cross the street, I suddenly started to slip and slide. There was black ice on the road. As I was slipping and sliding, trying to get my balance, I started to laugh. Some people who saw me were laughing too. I eventually hit the ground. The traffic light changed and cars were unable to pass because I was sliding across the road. Some of the drivers asked me if I needed help, but I told them “Thanks for asking, but no thanks.” If anyone tried to help, they will also slip on the ice. I finally slid across the road and got to the other side where there was grass and I was able to stand. As I walked on the sidewalk towards my home, people who walked by asked me if I was okay. I answered them, but I was feeling ashamed. Tears were at the back of my eyes waiting to flow out. The moment I walked in my home, I started to cry as I remember my slipping and sliding moment. As the Trinidad and Tobago old folks used to say, ‘Laugh and cry does live in the same house, yes’!

 

No comments: