Friday, September 25, 2020

One day I was in the post office on Church Avenue. I asked one of the workers a question and she responded very angrily to me. I told her not to start no shit with me. I turned and walked away. While I was walking away an elderly woman started speaking gibberish to me. I told her I don’t understand what she was saying. Woman: “You not from Trinidad and Tobago?” Me: “Yes.” Woman: “An’ yuh doh understand meh. What is wrong wit’ yuh? Yuh suppose to know gibberish.” Me: When I was in elementary school, but I never continued speaking it.” Woman: You should ah keep that shit in yuh head. Now ah have to speak proper English to yuh. Everybody go know what ah saying.” I started to laugh. Woman: “Doh laugh this shit is not funny.” A younger woman: “Mom stop. Why are you speaking to the lady like that?” Woman: “She could be meh daughter. All yuh young people forgetting de old-time language. Some ah all yuh doh even know patois.” She was right. I don’t even know patois.

No comments: