Monday, May 10, 2021

Trinbagonians talk. (144) “You must have Your Keys Handy”

Ah was standin’ by de front door lookin’ in meh han’bag for meh keys. A strange man was standin’ inside the buildin’ lookin’ at me. Ah was wonderin’ why he didn’t open de door, buh ah find meh key, open it an’ ah say, “Goodnight.”    “Goodnight Miss. Can I say somethin’ to yuh?”    “Sure, yuh can.”  “Ah stand up here lookin’ at yuh searchin’ in yuh bag for yuh key. De next time, hav’ yuh key in yuh han’ before yuh get to de door.”      “Yuh could hav’ open de door for me.”    “True, buh ah doh kno’ if yuh live in dis buildin’ or just pretendin’ to be lookin’ for keys,” He say.    “Yuh right, buh yuh are standin’ in de lobby an’ ah doh kno’ why yuh are here. Yuh could be pretendin’ to be waitin’ on somebody in de buildin’.” Ah tell he.    “Yuh also right, buh remember to keep yuh keys handy before yuh get to de door.”    “Ah will.”

I stood at the front door searching in my handbag for my keys. A man I did not know was standing inside the building looking at me. I was wondering why he didn’t open the door, but I eventually opened it and said, “Goodnight.”    “Goodnight. Miss. Can I say something to you?”    “Sure,” I said.    “I stood here looking at you searching for your keys in your bag. The next time, have your keys in your hand before you get to the door.”    “You could have opened the door for me,” I said.    “True, but I don’t know if you live in this building or just pretending to be looking for keys,” He said.    “You’re right, but you are standing in the lobby and I don’t know why you are here. You could have been pretending to be waiting on someone in the building.” I said.    “You’re also right, but remember to keep your keys handy before you get to the door.” “I will.”

No comments: